Live Chat
Members only Forum

Home >> Club Information >> Members only Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Jul 21st, 2014, 11:38pm

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What are the effects of aging certain tobaccos? (Read 259 times)
Chad_Goldenberg

There's nothin'
wacky 'bout my
tobaccy!

What are the effects of aging certain tobaccos?
Dec 31st, 2005, 12:46pm

How long and what differences can a year or even a month make after it's been stored for some time?

TheCahuna   IP Logged
Chad_Goldenberg

There's nothin'
wacky 'bout my
tobaccy!

Re: What are the effects of aging certain tobaccos
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2006, 1:48am

So what's deal here?  35 reads and not one reply?  I've been seriously smoking for about 3 years and nobody here can help me?  Stop holding out fellas!

TheCahuna   IP Logged
Mahaffy

Kill the wabbit,
kill the wabbit. . .

East Randolph, VT
Reply #2 - May 7th, 2006, 12:06am

Well, Chad, I've been seriously smoking for about 50 years, and to be honest with you, I can't answer your question. (I have to plead the fifth, though; this is the first time I stumbled onto your thread. The little dinguses that are supposed to show new entries just don't work on this board, at least for me.) No, I have always -- and probably always will -- smoked what I've bought until it's gone, and then bought some more. No one ever told me that one is supposed to KEEP the stuff. (Some guys sound like misers, the way they gloat over their cellars!)

I will say, however, that I once BOUGHT some tobacco that was really old -- at one of those dented-tin road-kill stores -- and it was first-rate! While in the Navy, I smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day, so you'll appreciate it when I say that the nicotine in this tobacco was strong enough to make me dizzy with one bowl! Our more refined BOBs, however, aren't into shelving it for the additional kick, but rather because aging does in fact improve the flavor -- and I have no reason to doubt them.

The obverse side of that coin is this: there are, I find, any number of great tobaccos that I enjoyed years ago which are no longer available, and I think this might be the prime reason for putting aside unopened tins of brands you really like.

-- john

Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
WWW   IP Logged
Dr. Chuck

Keep smokin'

So. Sub., IL
Reply #3 - May 10th, 2007, 8:51am

Chad:

Sorry about my lack of presence on  the forum lately.  It's been a busy year so far culminating with the CPCC may show.  I'm just now getting back to some semblance of normalcy.  

To avoid information overflow I'll give you a short answer.

When tobacco is stored it will generally become milder over time.  

Since manufacturers take harvested tobacco and dry it, process it by fermentation, cut it, blend it , and age it prior to selling it to us we can alter the properties of a given product by how we handle it.  Tobacco continues to ferment after we by it.  

Tobacco is like wine, cheese, or other fermented products.  We can arrest the fermentation process by chilling it, speed up the process with heat, age it under controlled conditions, or use it right away to appreciate the taste as the maker intended.

Experimentation is the best teacher for the individual.  Try to store the same batch of tobacco different ways.  Put one amount in an air tight container in the fridge.  One in a container (heat resistant) on the top of the water heater (or furnace in the winter), and of course one of equal size stored at room temperature.  Every few weeks try some and compare.  Some tobaccos will diverge noticeably in two weeks, others may take longer, at some point you will begin to taste a difference.  

Let me know how your experiments play out.

Search pipes.org to get other ideas and information.

Good thing I gave you the short answer,

Chuck

WWW   IP Logged
Abyss
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2007, 10:39pm

Chuck, thanks for your ongoing efforts with responding to posts and sharing your wealth of knowledge. Also thanks for all of your help with the show this year! For the past few months, I've also been very busy with show preparations and hopefully can get back to participating in the discussions here. We have a nice forum going here with a variety of posts and great information!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Chicago Pipe Show Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.

Contact Us Site Map