Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bamboo Shanks (Read 252 times)
Abyss
YaBB Administrator

Bamboo Shanks
Sep 25th, 2005, 10:27pm

I have several bamboo shank pipes now. I really like the way bamboo enhances a pipe's appearance and also feel that there's a positive effect on the smoking qualities. Some of the pipes that have bamboo shanks are not lined all the way through the bamboo. Is there any special attention that needs to be paid to the bamboo to ensure its integrity? I'd hate to have any issues down the road for something I'm not doing currently.

Blakeny's Best Acadian Ribbon in a Heeschen bamboo shanked cutty.

IP Logged
Dr. Chuck

Keep smokin'

So. Sub., IL
Re: Bamboo Shanks
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2005, 8:32am

It is my experience that pipe makers sleeve bamboo, or not, depending on whether or not they want the bamboo to color over time.  Bamboo is quite absorbent and will patina nicely from use if not sleeved, or only sleeved at the mortise and bowl.  A completely sleeved piece will of course be sealed against the moisture from smoking and will retain its original color longer.

Sleeving the bamboo has less to do with the structural integrity of bamboo than simply a means to attach it to briar and to receive the stem.

I have some 50 year old bamboo stock for repairs and it shows no signs of weakness.  I rarely get bamboo shanks for repair unless they are crushed from miss use.

WWW   IP Logged
Abyss
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2005, 2:35pm

Thanks Dr. Chuck. Any thoughts on the effects of moisture over time on bamboo? As you mentioned, they absorb quite a bit of moisture and I'm wondering how this might affect the structural integrity down the road.

IP Logged
bosipipes
YaBB Newbies

Manhattan, IL
Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2005, 7:26am

I myself

Kirk Bosi
Bosi Pipes
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
WWW   IP Logged
Dr. Chuck

Keep smokin'

So. Sub., IL
Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2005, 8:14am

I have seen a few old Dunhill bamboos and they all seemed to be structurally intact.  I have never seen a bamboo, old or new, broken from shearing (twisting or rotational) forces.  The bamboos extensions I have replaced were crushed or snapped.  I don't believe moisture is a problem as the bamboo seems to dry out nicely if given a reasonable rest.

WWW   IP Logged
Abyss
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2005, 8:55am

Thanks Dr. Chuck, that's great to know!  Cheesy

IP Logged
Dr. Chuck

Keep smokin'

So. Sub., IL
Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2005, 9:19am

I forgot to mention that on some bamboo shanks are attached with brass pins to add strength.  However I still have not seen any shanks loosen or detatch with normal use no matter how they are attached.

Chuck

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Chicago Pipe Show Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.

Contact Us Site Map